Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

What an awesome day. A day to celebrate the women who brought us into the world, and brought us up in the world (whether those are the same or different women!)

My mama and I 

I have been so blessed with my mother. She is as strong as she is generous and kind. (And she's a little funny. Sometimes. And 'hip'....no, she really is. She knows more about my friends than I do.)

At my wedding

In all seriousness, my mom is AWESOME. She put herself all the way through school, including pharmacy school, and then she went after her dreams and is a hugely sought-after pharmacist in our area. Her customers pretty much think she walks on water. We can't go anywhere without her getting stopped by at least four people! (It's awesome though--it just shows how much she touches the lives of the people around her!) She was (and still is) a loving and dedicated daughter. She and my dad are a great example of marriage and family. She's not perfect but, man, when I think about what a rotten kid I was (am?) sometimes, I am waaaayyy impressed by how well she has done with what she had to work with.

I LOVE this one of her..less of me, but Mother's Day is about being selfless, right?!

I was so sad that I didn't get a chance to go home this year for Mother's Day. This is the first year Mom hasn't had my sister Kaylyn and I both at home...instead she has neither! (Kaylyn is on some sort of 'marine biology' trip to Key West that looks a lot like playing at the beach)

This is Kaylyn, looking all science-y. I didn't think she'd appreciate bikini pics on my blog. Although, she is smokin'. I'm just saying. 

I did get to call my mama this afternoon and we talked for over two hours! It was a great conversation and it's amazing that although sometimes if feels like your mom can be your biggest enemy (but Mom, I don't want to do the dishes before I go to the movies! Wow, I'm a brat), she is always your biggest ally. And cheerleader. And friend. 

For some of you out there, your story/relationship with your biological mother may have not been as blessed as this. For you, I would encourage you to think of other women in your life who have stepped up and been there for you. This may be a grandmother or other family member, a woman in your church or community, a teacher....the point is, she was there for you and she's great! Spend some time with that woman if you can this week, and if that's not possible, then just spend some time reflecting on her and the others who got you where you are today. Remember that there are other kids out there just like you were, and try to be a support and encouragement to them! You never know how far your love reaches. :)

In that vein, I have to mention my mother-in-law: uber sweet and encouraging

My mother-in-law and I at my bridal shower

My mom-in-law, me and my mom at my wedding

And my adorable grandmothers and grandmothers-in-law! They are amazing and deserve tons of recognition on Mother's Day too!


My family and both of my grandmothers (and my grandfather) at my wedding

Ricky and I with his grandmothers at our wedding (side note: weddings are great for having ready-to-go-to pictures of your family!)


Anyway...gratuitous family pics aside, mothers pretty much make the world go 'round, so give your moms and mom-stand-ins some lovin' this Mother's Day week! Some people think Mother's Day is too "commercialized," just another holiday to sell cards and flowers. Well....no. Moms deserve way more appreciation all year long! Doing something for her on Mother's Day is really not too much to ask (in my humble opinion).
So, to my mom: Mamasita, (we're not Spanish..we just like the way it sounds!)....you're the best!

Saved the best picture for last!



2 comments:

  1. Wow girl I had no idea you got married!! Congratulations! And you were NEVER a brat. You and Kaylyn were always sweet. Remember the play we were all in at Victory faith? the one we were dressed as mice and you, Kaylyn, Claire, Jasmine and Johnna were dancing somethings... lol... I cant remember what you were all dressed as, but you were all adorable. Enjoy your life and I wish you the best. Heather Lawson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! I think we were dancing cheese in that play. That is awesome, I haven't thought about that in a long time. :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete